This is the second article from my SAM research project with Stephen Mann from Forrester Research looking at the partner / supplier element of our research. See also ‘Which services do SAM partners offer?‘.
This time we simply asked suppliers/partners and resellers “In your opinion what is the biggest driver for organizations adopting SAM?”
As you can see the three strongest business drivers were:
- Cost Cutting – “We need to reduce software costs”
- Vendor Audits – “We need to defend against, or clean up the mess after publisher-led audits”
- Governance – “We need to reduce risk, unexpected software costs, adhere to regulations and maintain compliance”
- Software ROI – “We need to demonstrate the value of our software investments, return on investment, business value”
- Visibility – “We just need better visibility of what we have so we can manage it more effectively”
- Procurement – “We need to prepare for contract changes or renewals, we need to adhere to ever more complex license terms”
- Operational Efficiency – “We need to reduce complexity on the Service Desk, improve service and manage the whole lifecycle more effectively”
- Migration Planning – “We need to plan transitions to the cloud, new operating systems etc”
- Security – “We need to monitor inappropriate apps, piracy, security risks”
In the next article I’ll dig into what blockers exist for SAM.
- Survey conducted with ITAM Review newsletter subscribers in October 2012
- Countries participating: 32
- Total participants: 176
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback. Further analysis to follow.