The following Job Description comes from a company called Humana in Louisville, KY US. Let us know if you think anything else should be included in the job description of a SAM Manager.
“Software Asset Management Analyst
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is one of the nation’s largest publicly traded health benefits companies. Humana offers a diversified portfolio of health insurance products and related services – through traditional and consumer-choice plans – to employer groups, government-sponsored plans, and individuals.
Today, Humana is a leader in consumer engagement. Throughout its diversified customer portfolio, the company provides guidance that can both help lower costs and lead to a better health plan experience.
As a Software Asset Management Analyst in Humana’s Service Operations and Information Technology department you will be involved in the management of software acquisition, compliance, maintenance renewals, life cycle planning and costing.
Specifically you will:
- Facilitate the business’ needs for ongoing technical support and upgrade protection on selected products by ensuring that maintenance, support and upgrade protection renewals are managed/handled/ordered in advance of their expiration.
- Identify savings opportunities for renewals, software licensing, and services. Follow through with vendors and Humana Associates to obtain identified savings.
- Manage contracts and relationships to maximize value creation and costs for software licensing, maintenance, and service offerings.
- Collect information for budgeting, software compliance & inventory, contract summaries, and cost comparisons.
- Enter and maintain information in a database format to address budgeting, software compliance & inventory, contracts, and cost. Assist in the development of reporting to address management requirements to obtain information.
- Communicate through email, individual interview, group meetings, and presentations to end users, management, developers, and vendors.
- Respond to requests from end users, managers, developers, and team members for specific IT Software Asset Management data information.
- Builds Trust: You honor your word by doing what you say you are going to do.
- Implementation/Execution: You are good at organizing and managing multiple priorities and/or projects by using appropriate methodologies and tools.
- Innovate: You introduce new ideas and processes which improve performance and productivity.
- Problem Solving: You are a problem solver with the ability to encourage others in collaborative problem solving. Acting as both a broker and consultant regarding resources, you engage others in problem solving without taking over.
- Conceptional knowledge of Information Technology
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Proven researching ability
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance or a related field
- IT Asset Management and Discovery Tools experience
- Experience interpreting licensing terms and conditions
- IAITAM certification
You will report to the Manager of Software Asset Management. This area is under the leadership of the Director of Strategic Vendor Management.
About Martin Thompson
Martin is also the founder of ITAM Forum, a not-for-profit trade body for the ITAM industry created to raise the profile of the profession and bring an organisational certification to market. On a voluntary basis Martin is a contributor to ISO WG21 which develops the ITAM International Standard ISO/IEC 19770.
He is also the author of the book "Practical ITAM - The essential guide for IT Asset Managers", a book that describes how to get started and make a difference in the field of IT Asset Management. In addition, Martin developed the PITAM training course and certification.
Prior to founding the ITAM Review in 2008 Martin worked for Centennial Software (Ivanti), Silicon Graphics, CA Technologies and Computer 2000 (Tech Data).
When not working, Martin likes to Ski, Hike, Motorbike and spend time with his young family.
Connect with Martin on LinkedIn.