Gartner have released a new Market Scope for ITAM repositories.
Alongside the usual rating of vendors is a very good snapshot of the ITAM marketplace.
They provide an insightful summary of the current trends and market drivers and a useful clarification on ITAM’s relationship with Service Management, CMDB and Business Service Management.
- “IT Asset Management Tools are continuing to show strong market growth, and adoption is on the upswing”
- “ITIL, CMDB and vendor product bundling has led to confusion about the role of ITAM repositories in the marketplace”
- Organisations ITAM toolset purchasing decisions are being influenced by vendor’s broader service desk and lifecycle management options
- ITAM is becoming a priority in small organisations
Gartner MarketScope for the IT Asset Management Repository (April 2010)
- Strong Positive – CA, HP
- Positive – BMC Software (Remedy), IBM
- Promising – Axios Systems, LANDesk, Provance Technologies, PS’Soft, Symantec Altiris, USU
- Caution – Eracent
Additional tools mentioned: Flexera Software, Insight Solutions and OpenIT.
About Martin Thompson
Martin is also the founder of ITAM Forum, a not-for-profit trade body for the ITAM industry created to raise the profile of the profession and bring an organisational certification to market. On a voluntary basis Martin is a contributor to ISO WG21 which develops the ITAM International Standard ISO/IEC 19770.
He is also the author of the book "Practical ITAM - The essential guide for IT Asset Managers", a book that describes how to get started and make a difference in the field of IT Asset Management. In addition, Martin developed the PITAM training course and certification.
Prior to founding the ITAM Review in 2008 Martin worked for Centennial Software (Ivanti), Silicon Graphics, CA Technologies and Computer 2000 (Tech Data).
When not working, Martin likes to Ski, Hike, Motorbike and spend time with his young family.
Connect with Martin on LinkedIn.