I am pleased to announce that Kylie Fowler will be a contributing a regular column to the ITAM review, offering insights from her extensive experience ‘at the coal face’ of ITAM.
Kylie has 10 years experience in IT, including first and second line support, but the majority of her career has been spent working as an IT Asset Management specialist for large, global enterprises in the Insurance, Finance and Construction Sectors.
As a result of her experiences of being the sole ITAM specialist in many companies for which she worked, in her writing Kylie focuses on those issues where she particularly missed the input and support of ITAM colleagues during her years ‘at the coal face’. At the same time, she recognises that ITAM does not occur in a vacuum and aims to address the linkages between ITAM and other disciplines, in particular IT Service Management.
Kylie is a qualified ISEB SAM Practitioner and Prince 2 2009 Practitioner. She also holds the ITIL Foundation certificate.
- Vendor Software Audits – Kylie has managed several vendor audits including Microsoft and Adobe. Her data analysis skills allow her to validate vendor data and ensure audit results are accurate.
- Software Governance – from formulating and implementing IT Asset related acceptable use policies, drafting ITAM strategies and designing IT Asset Governance frameworks, Kylie is experienced in ensuring that IT Asset Management is aligned to the business and operates within a robust governance model.
- IT Service Management – many ITAM Specialists pay lip-service to the need for ITAM to be an integral part of IT Service Management. In her work, Kylie emphasises the development of strong and productive interconnections between ITAM, Change and Configuration Management and IT Service Operations.
- ITAM Maturity Assessments – ITAM maturity assessments allow Kylie to identify ‘low hanging fruit’ and quick wins to help organisations rapidly improve processes, identify major risks and lay the groundwork for a comprehensive SAM programme.
- Software Lifecycle Management – Kylie has managed software across all aspects of the software lifecycle, with the exception of the development of in-house software. She has experience in planning and managing software upgrades and managing support and maintenance purchases, renewals and terminations.
- Hardware Lifecycle Management – implementing cradle to grave hardware lifecycle management processes for infrastructure, desktop, AV and mobile equipment, Kylie has demonstrated the potential to maximise ROI and ensuring that hardware disposal processes comply with all legal and regulatory requirements, including those relating to data security.
About Martin Thompson
Martin is also the founder of ITAM Forum, a not-for-profit trade body for the ITAM industry created to raise the profile of the profession and bring an organisational certification to market. On a voluntary basis Martin is a contributor to ISO WG21 which develops the ITAM International Standard ISO/IEC 19770.
He is also the author of the book "Practical ITAM - The essential guide for IT Asset Managers", a book that describes how to get started and make a difference in the field of IT Asset Management. In addition, Martin developed the PITAM training course and certification.
Prior to founding the ITAM Review in 2008 Martin worked for Centennial Software (Ivanti), Silicon Graphics, CA Technologies and Computer 2000 (Tech Data).
When not working, Martin likes to Ski, Hike, Motorbike and spend time with his young family.
Connect with Martin on LinkedIn.