I am in the process of writing a book on SAM.
The book in entitled ‘Software Asset Management – The First Ninety Days‘.
My goal is to help new SAM professionals learn the territory and begin to plot their strategy.
- Highlight the benefits of SAM
- Allow the reader to assess their current position
- Allow the reader to plot their course
- Provide a framework for progress
- Balance of SAM theory and pragmatic advice
- Low cost (say less than about £40/$60/€50)
The outline for our book is published below.
- Is there a specific topic you would like to see covered which is missing from our outline?
- Would you like to contribute a section based on one of the topics below?
To get involved please leave a comment below or get in contact.
Software Asset Management – The First Ninety Days [Book Outline]
- Introduction to SAM
- An Asset Management Primer
- Business Drivers
- Benefits (Tangible and Intangible)
- Risks (vendor audit / licensing complexity)
- Key Tenets
- Begin with the end in mind
- Business as Usual / Why SAM framework
- The Theoretical SAM Framework
- SAM Definition
- Mission / Vision / Objectives
- SAM Process Framework
- How SAM relates to other disciplines and frameworks
- ISO/IEC 19770
- ISO/IEC 20000
- Pragmatic SAM / Preparation (Where am I? where do I need to be?)
- Agree on planning and approach
- How to prepare stakeholder interviews
- Workshop and Exercises
- Maturity Assessment
- Pragmatic SAM / Implementation
- Your organization
- Placement within an organization (reporting lines)
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Sheriff or Lynchpin
- Characteristics of successful SAM professionals / skills
- Ownership of the (key) processes (RACI)
- Policies – Giving Your Practice Teeth
- The Operational Business Plan
- Checklist for building a compliance position
- Selling SAM to Stakeholders
- Reporting (operational kpi’s)
- Your Communications Plan
- SAM Artefacts (Data Gathering, Data Sources)
- Your organization
About Martin Thompson
Martin is also author of the book "Practical ITAM - The essential guide for IT Asset Managers", a book that describes how to get started and make a difference in the field of IT Asset Management.
On a voluntary basis Martin is a contributor to ISO WG21 which develops the ITAM International Standard ISO/IEC 19770.
Learn more about him here and connect with him on Twitter or LinkedIn.