2017 – the year SAP starting suing its customers, cloud optimisation goes mainstream and end users starting biting back against software vendors. Here is what you were reading in 2017, crowdsourced favourites from ITAM Review readers:
Top 20 Most read in 2017
Highest number of views, based on articles published in 2017:
- ServiceNow Jakarta introduces Oracle and Microsoft License Management
- Jaguar Land Rover saves £30M optimising SAP
- Drinks company Diageo loses battle with SAP
- New compliance target in SAP crosshairs, ABInBev face $600m fine
- GDPR and the implications for ITAM
- SoftwareOne makes aggressive play for SAM MSP Mid Market
- Jochen Hagenlocher: Make 2017 the year of SAM
- How to prepare for the future of ITAM
- Gamification of SAM
- Microsoft product terms update
- Office 365 removes older versions of Office based products
- Flexera acquires BDNA
- Discovery, software recognition and optimisation in a SaaS world
- Quick guide to Microsoft SAM Managed Service Program
- SAP restrictive practices rile customers. CCL files complaint with Competition and Markets Authority
- Outsource ITAM or keep in-house?
- SAP user and indirect access reconciliation process
- Time to kill the EULA? Printer company Lexmark lose supreme court battle
- Excellence Awards Profile: SAM at Roche; Think big, start small
- ITAM in a cloud era
Top Five Most Visited Forum Posts
Microsoft Licensing and Tools!
- Clarification on Office365 downgrade rights
- Office365 in a Citrix Environment
- SQL per core licensing and core factors
- New Microsoft partner tool “Movere”
- Snow, Aspera, iQuate or Flexera – how to select?
Top Five Most Discussed Forum Posts
By volume of comments
- KPMG and IBM conflict of interest
- ITAM on a budget
- Oracle / VMware Host Affinity Rules
- Snow, Aspera, IQuate or Flexera – how to select?
- Inexpensive alternatives to BDNA
Top 10 Most Read Overall
Highest number of views, based on articles published since 2008.
Note: No articles from 2017 made it into the top 10. Highest visited article (Windows 10 Licenses from 2015) received over 22,000 visitors in 2017.
- Windows 10 Licenses, what you need to know
- Quick guide to hardware asset tagging
- Oracle Licensing quick guide
- SAP Licensing quick guide
- Top 10 Licensing Types
- Asset Naming Conventions
- Alternatives to Oracle Database
- Joiners, Movers, Leavers Process
- The importance of effective HAM
- Oracle audit: top 20 frequently asked questions
Best old performing article: Software Asset Management Analyst Job Description from 2008.
Top three most popular categories:
By volume of unique visitors in 2017.
- USA (30.61%)
- UK (14.35%)
- India (9.97%)
- Australia (4.40%)
- Germany (3.53%)
- Canada (3.31%)
- Netherlands (2.12%)
- France (1.75%)
- Sweden (1.28%)
- Singapore (1.24%)
About Martin Thompson
Martin is also the founder of ITAM Forum, a not-for-profit trade body for the ITAM industry created to raise the profile of the profession and bring an organisational certification to market. On a voluntary basis Martin is a contributor to ISO WG21 which develops the ITAM International Standard ISO/IEC 19770.
He is also the author of the book "Practical ITAM - The essential guide for IT Asset Managers", a book that describes how to get started and make a difference in the field of IT Asset Management. In addition, Martin developed the PITAM training course and certification.
Prior to founding the ITAM Review in 2008 Martin worked for Centennial Software (Ivanti), Silicon Graphics, CA Technologies and Computer 2000 (Tech Data).
When not working, Martin likes to Ski, Hike, Motorbike and spend time with his young family.
Connect with Martin on LinkedIn.