In October 2009 the US Federal Trade Commission updated its guidelines governing endorsements and testimonials to incorporate a new wave of blogging and social media. See ‘FTC Publishes Final Guides Governing Endorsements, Testimonials’.
The ITAM Review is not a US based organization and does not need to adhere to these guidelines. However, we take our independence very seriously and use the FTC Guidelines as a high water mark. In the spirit of full disclosure and complete transparency we would like to make readers aware of any ‘material connections’ between vendors and reviews.
The ‘Reader Reviews’ Model in a nutshell: Each vendor participating in Reader Reviews pays a fee to participate. The ITAM Review in turn pays selected ITAM Review readers to investigate products and share their opinion.
In the interests of complete independence and impartiality the following guidelines apply:
- The ITAM Review retains full editorial control at all times
- Vendors or service providers are not aware of the reviewers who have been selected for the review until the review is completed
- Reviewers must not be known to the vendor or service provider (e.g. Reviewers must not be a customer, previous customer, prospect, partner, or associated or affiliated with the vendor or service provider).
- Reviewers do not know what product or service they are reviewing prior to starting the review
- The ITAM Review decides which Reader Reviews to run and which vendors should be invited.
The ITAM Review has complete editorial control at all times over Reader Reviews.
The Group Test Model in a nutshell: Each vendor participating pays a small, equal fee to participate. This allows The ITAM Review to provide in-depth coverage and research to readers free of charge.
Group Tests involve several different software vendors being ranked and compared against each other within the context of a particular product feature or business function.
The ITAM Review decides which Group Tests to run and which vendors should be invited.
The ITAM Review has complete editorial control at all times over Group Tests, writes and develops the assessment criteria and has full control over final publications and results.
If you have any questions regarding these guidelines please contact us.