This article was written by Rich Gibbons, ITAM Review, and Noel Unwin, Discount Licensing. Following the decision made by the United Kingdom (UK) to leave the European Union (EU) on 31st January 2020, negotiations between the UK Government and the EU continue. The ‘transitional’...
Category: Secondary Software
“As-A-Service” is everywhere in technology. Looking through my own subscriptions I have service contracts for ink (HP Instant Ink), entertainment (Apple Music & Netflix) and even fitness apps (Strava and Zwift). Even the mighty Apple is trying to pivot towards being primarily...
This article was written by Rich Gibbons of ITAM Review and Noel Unwin of Discount Licensing. In July 2012, the second-hand software market received a definitive answer from the European Court of Justice (ECJ) when it ruled that reselling intangible software was legal. The rights...
The Secondary Software Market, created by an EU-ruling in 2012, is not just about sourcing second-hand copies of old licenses, or getting some money back for your now redundant Office licenses. In preparing a guide to this market I interviewed David Chamberlain, General Manager of...
Adrian Mulligan from ELS in Australia discusses seven ways enterprises get lured into overspend In this podcast I’m joined by Adrian Mulligan from ELS in Australia. Podcast Topics Overspend tactics: Maintenance payments will secure upgrade rights Support calls with maintenance...
Second hand software licensing market finally gaining traction, large European corporates saving millions
A market surplus of perpetual Microsoft Office licenses provides significant savings for organizations looking to address compliance shortfalls or growth capacity for legacy versions of Office. European SAM teams have been able to buy and sell software licensing on the secondary market...
This is a guest post from Robin Fry of Cerno. The European Court has restated the legality of the resale of software in Europe in its latest judgment but confirmed that the principle does not extend to software transferred on back-up discs. The October 2016 ruling is the first...
SAM tool vendor Snow Software reports that Adobe has lost a case of reselling secondary software in the USA that has good implications for the US secondary software market. See: Adobe loses courtroom battle. It is great to see Snow Software (ITAM Review Tool Provider of the Year 2015...
In this Podcast Martin Thompson of The ITAM Review is joined by two ITAM professionals who share their knowledge and experience with regards to Second Hand Software. They are: Christiaan Murphy – Software Category Manager, CGI Tomas O’Leary – CEO, Origina Podcast...
I’m writing this blog following recent news of a dispute between Microsoft and second-hand licensing specialist Discount Licensing. In particular, I’m keen to publish an independent message in light of the nonsense being stated by FAST in the press over the last few days. I’ve...
Stay Ahead of the Market
Receive free monthly updates about the SAM, ITAM, and Software Licensing market, upcoming events & link to resources you won't find anywhere else!
- Quick Guide to IT Asset Disposition (ITAD) accreditations and certifications
- What is a software license?
- What is Secondary Software?
- Annual ITAM Review Excellence Awards – 2021 Winners Announced
- What is 3rd Party Support?
- The value ITAM brings to the Service Desk
- Incident, Problem and Change Defined
- To win at ITAM, pick a sweet spot
- Microsoft 365 SaaS prices increase by up to 25%
Popular Posts, last 7 days
- IT Asset Naming Conventions
- Oracle License Management Tools Group Test – The Results
- Hardware Asset Management (HAM) Best Practice Survey
- Microsoft Extended Security Updates – what’s the deal?
- Process of the Month – Joiners, Movers and Leavers Process
- Microsoft Visual Studio licensing guide: Stop the development of risks
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for SAM Managed Service Providers 2021
- The Importance of Effective HAM (Hardware Asset Management)
- Windows 10 Licenses: What You Need to Know
- Oracle Licensing Quick Guide