It is with great pleasure that I welcome Martin Chalkley to The ITAM Review.
There is a real thirst for knowledge and guidance in the IT Asset Management market and we have seen increased demand for our no-nonsense vendor neutral consulting.
Martin joins as Analyst to offer specialist ITAM consulting in the areas of cost optimization, cost avoidance and vendor and supplier management.
Over the coming months Martin will be writing a column to share his insights and experiences. Subscribe to The ITAM Review to receive Martin’s updates.
Martin Chalkley MRes, BSc (Hons)
Martin has 13 years experience in the IT industry. Starting his career specialising in IT Asset Management for Foster Wheeler Energy Ltd, he subsequently joined Railtrack managing their asset database prior to working for Unisys and then Network Rail.
Martin has a wide range of experience – IT Asset & Configuration Management, Vendor Management, Procurement and Commercial Management, all leading to an expertise in cost optimisation in capital and operating expenditure. Martin has also delivered stakeholder and cultural engagement programs to board level and sustainability in IT.
Martin holds a Masters in Research degree in Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, ITIL Foundation and Configuration Practitioner certificates and the CPD Award in Front Line Leadership from Warwick Business School.
- Cost optimisation – Martin has led programs to identify surplus, unused and over-billed IT assets, duplicate asset users and undertaken amnesties for the return of such assets. Subsequently he developed this into the implementation of improved stock control and management procedures. Working with his procurement teams he created a reuse of existing stock versus a purchase mentality through realignment of process and priorities.
- IT asset and configuration management – Having managed from inception an IT Asset Management implementation, Martin delivered policies and standards to allow its subsequent development into a full Configuration Management Database. His primary focus was ensuring that asset management was seen as a competency in its own right, rather than as support to other ITIL processes.
- Procurement process overhaul – Martin re-engineered procurement processes achieving 70% headcount reduction. To create a sustainable team engagement he involved them in the process redesign delivering a markedly improved customer experience reducing lead times, escalations, calls out of SLA and capital expenditure.
- Mobile telephony – Martin jointly managed with the mobile telephony provider the business process redesign, overhauling internal communication channels for the largest corporate mobility account by connections in the UK. Subsequently he worked with the carrier to terminate redundant connections replacing the lost revenue stream, c£750k, through innovation with the carrier.
- Stake holder engagement – Reporting directly to the CFO, Martin delivered board level stakeholder engagement for a corporate change program on print behaviours. Martin developed from base principles a creative, yet detailed analytical process, obtained local champions across the entire business, provided a personalised reporting toolset for pilot group and full reporting across all stakeholders forecasting savings of £600k/yr.
- Vendor / Commercial management – Martin drove suppliers to a partnership status, delivering supplier process redesign and innovation into the business. Martin’s niche skill is understanding supplier capabilities and relevance to the business road-map resulting in improved commercial management and developing cross supplier working structures.
- Category management – Martin led through category / catalogue management, pricing reductions of up to 50%. His unique take on process management delivered changes to accounts payable processes allowing the human touch to invoice payment systems to be minimised or eliminated.
If Martin’s areas of expertise are of interest please contact us to arrange an introductory call.