Software Licence Management vendor Aspera held a “Cost Management” seminar in Frankfurt back in late March.
Their main take-away points for managing software costs in a recession are summarised below.
Increasing employee awareness is an important point because it really sends out a message that the IT Department are ‘doing their bit’ to save the company money.
- Procurement – Increase the utilization of existing assets e.g. purchasing updates instead of more expensive full versions
- Centralise Procurement if you have not done so already
- Capitilize – facilitate the full use of existing software, take advantage of free updates, offload those applications which are not required.
- Avoid demand based or ‘Just in Time’ Purchasing
Increase Employee Awareness and Sense of Responsibility
- Offer incentive schemes to employees for prudent use of software, be transparent about costs, apply a manager approval process for new software
- Offer Alternatives – free software, used software, rented / SaaS applications
Aspera repeat the event in Chicago on the 7th May, further details can be found here
About Martin Thompson
Martin is also author of the book "Practical ITAM - The essential guide for IT Asset Managers", a book that describes how to get started and make a difference in the field of IT Asset Management.
On a voluntary basis Martin a contributor to ISO WG21 which develops the ITAM International Standard ISO/IEC 19770.
Learn more about him here and connect with him on Twitter or LinkedIn.