Symantec have published a report into the attitudes of organisations towards “Green IT”. They surveyed over 1,000 companies worldwide.
High Level Summary of Findings
- Green IT has moved from a wishlist item to high priority. 97% were discussing Green IT Strategy, 67% discussing or trialing Green IT initiatives and 30% have already implemented a strategy
- Green IT budgets are rising and IT are willing to pay a premium for green equipment.
- IT is at the heart of Enterprise Green Efforts. 81% of IT Departments are responsible or are cross-charged for data centre electricity. 92% believe IT has a pivotal role.
- Top Priorities
- Energy Consumption
- Reducing Cooling Costs
- Reduce Pollution
- Qualify as a “Green” Company
- Most Common Tactics
- Replace hardware with more efficient models
- Monitor power consumption
- Server consolidation
- Server virtualisation
Finally, 55% are considering SaaS as part of a strategy to reduce power (Then somone else can worry about the servers).
About Martin Thompson
Martin is also author of the book "Practical ITAM - The essential guide for IT Asset Managers", a book that describes how to get started and make a difference in the field of IT Asset Management.
On a voluntary basis Martin a contributor to ISO WG21 which develops the ITAM International Standard ISO/IEC 19770.
Learn more about him here and connect with him on Twitter or LinkedIn.