The ITAM Review Podcast: Episode 20
Sanj (an ex-Oracle LMS auditor) and I talk about his experiences at Oracle.
Sanj suggests that the majority of Oracle’s current cloud sales in the UK are offered as a resolution to audit settlements. I.e. Oracle says we’ll make that audit nastiness go away if you buy our cloud.
Oracle Cloud only represents single digits in Oracle revenue, but quarterly financial calls tout it as the Promised Land. I wonder how their investors would feel if they found out the database giant was not actually selling most cloud based software on customer demand but only based on audit settlements?
Sanj also provides his insights into the LMS perspective of the recent Mars vs. Oracle case that was settled out of court. Sanj suggests that internally Oracle LMS and Sales reps were urged to find a commercial resolution to Oracle on VMware because a legal precedent would destroy a lucrative cash cow for LMS. Sanj suggests that the ability to win is purely down to the confidence of the customer, as proven by Mars.
- Oracle and unethical behavior
- Using threat of audits to advance sales
- Oracle LMS soft targets, motivations and the greater good
- In 2014 50% of Oracle UK database revenue was from audit led engagements
- The threat of Oracle legal versus finding a commercial solution
- Not rolling over, VMware and Mars vs. Oracle
- When to strategically use a SAM specialist to deflate Oracle audit dirty tricks
- Exploring Oracle alternatives
- Majority of Oracle’s cloud sales in the UK are the result of an audit deficit whereby Oracle cloud was offered as a resolution.
Join us on 12th April 2016 for our 1 day Audit Defence Workshop in The Netherlands- Amsterdam. The purpose of this event to share audit defence strategies against the world’s most aggressive software publishers including Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, SAP and Adobe.
The day will consist of a combination of plenary sessions from expert speakers discussing the latest software audit defence strategies and case studies of successfully deflating auditor claims as well as end-user Roundtables addressing real life scenarios enabling you to discuss and share experiences.
Limited spaces available!
About Martin Thompson
Martin is also author of the book "Practical ITAM - The essential guide for IT Asset Managers", a book that describes how to get started and make a difference in the field of IT Asset Management.
On a voluntary basis Martin a contributor to ISO WG21 which develops the ITAM International Standard ISO/IEC 19770.
Learn more about him here and connect with him on Twitter or LinkedIn.