IaaS cloud tools are an area of growing interest to many ITAM managers. Managing cloud resources, and the associated spend, is a complicated task – with many environments spanning several cloud providers and 1000’s of services across global locations. Due to the sheer scale of cloud computing, a tool can quickly become a critical necessity for mature IaaS cloud management. While the exact ways in which cloud is used will differ from company to company, we have worked to define a key set of criteria against which IaaS management tools can be judged. These are:
- Does it manage Azure?
- Does it manage AWS?
- Does it manage GCP?
- Does it manage Alibaba?
- Does it recommend right sizing of VMs?
- Does it recommend shutdown?
- Does it recommend when things should be on Reserved Instances (RIs)?
- Does it manage Reserved Instances recommendations?
- Does it manage Reserved Instances purchasing?
- Does it detect unused Reserved Instances?
- Can it recommend Spot Instances?
- Can it report on BYOL?
- Does it manage containers?
- Does it manage functions?
- Does it manage serverless?
- Does it detect orphaned storage?
- Can it manage Spot Instances?
- Does it manage on-premises assets?
- Can it track and manage Microsoft Windows Server Azure Hybrid Benefits?
- Can it track and manage Microsoft SQL Server Azure Hybrid Benefits?
- Can it forecast costs of moving to cloud?
- Can it do application dependency mapping?
- Can cloud policies be created and applied?
- Can policies be automated?
- Can it track tags?
- Can it enforce tags?
- Can it restrict access to resources based on policies?
- Can you set budgets?
- Does it track spend against budget?
- Does it forecast spend?
- Can costs be aggregated across multiple cloud providers?
- Can you do Showback?
- Can you do Chargeback?
- Can it do cloud cost comparison?
- Can you create customizable dashboards?
- Can you view data based on different roles?
- Can you share data based on different roles?
Pricing & licensing
- How is the tool licensed?
- How is the tool priced?
About Rich Gibbons
A Northerner renowned for his shirts, Rich is a big Hip-Hop head, and loves travel, football in general (specifically MUFC), baseball, Marvel, and reading as many books as possible. Finding ways to combine all of these with ITAM & software licensing is always fun!
Connect with Rich on Twitter or LinkedIn.